Protecting the health and safety of our staff, professional staff, patients, and the community during the COVID-19 pandemic is our utmost priority. With the current lockdown order issued by the Province, it’s now more important than ever to maintain physical distancing and avoid non-essential movement from home.
The Health Records department at Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre offers safe, secure and convenient options for patients and families to obtain access to their health records from the comfort of home. While the department is currently closed to in-person traffic during the COVID-19 pandemic, patients and families are strongly encouraged to utilize mail, fax or the electronic Medchart platform to submit and receive documents related to health records requests.
Please note that the Health Records department processes requests to obtain copies of the paper reports contained in the medical record. For more information or other inquires, please call the Health Records department at (807) 684-6640. Requests related to obtaining digital images (Diagnostic Imaging) on CD should be directed to the Digital Library at (807) 684-6067.
Provincial legislation provides access to one’s own personal records. The Health Sciences Centre’s Health Records Department is responsible for the release of patient health information and its policies govern procedures to provide that information upon request.
Requesting copies of your health record
These are the current options for requesting copies of your hospital records if you were a patient of Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre (the Hospital):
- By electronic request using the third-party Medchart portal If you have already made a request to the Hospital through the Medchart portal, please use your existing Medchart account to make another request. Request Electronically (Patient)
You can request copies of your health records using the third-party Medchart portal to place your request. Please access the Medchart portal through a Chrome web browser. Once your order is placed, the Hospital’s Health Records staff will upload your records to your secure patient portal in Medchart. An email notification will be sent to you to let you know when your records are available electronically.
An online authorization form must be completed via this link, in order to complete your request:
I am a patient or an authorized substitute decision maker.
You can then log into Medchart to securely share your record with other physicians, family or trusted parties.
Request Electronically (Third Party – Law Firm, Insurance Company etc.)
If you are requesting patient records as a third party (lawyer, insurance provider etc.) please complete your request and upload a consent using this link:
I am a third-party (Law firm, insurance company etc)
You will be provided with a secure link to access and manage your request.
**If you have already made a request to the Hospital through the Medchart portal, please use your existing Medchart account to make another request.
- By fax to the Hospital’s Health Records department You can request copies of your health records by submitting a written request to the Hospital’s Health Records department.Patients should print and complete the Patient’s Request to Access Personal Health Information authorization form
Third parties should print and complete the CS 348 – SCA – Consent to Disclose Health Information authorization form. Copies of these forms can also be mailed to the Health Records department. Contact the TBRHSC Health Records department at 807-684-6640, and fax your authorization form 807-684-5881.
FAQ – How to Access Your Health Information
- Does it cost me anything to request medical information? There is an administrative cost for non-medical requests. Fees are collected for processing purposes (retrieval and photocopying).
|Copies of Medical Records
||$30 for first 20 pages $0.25 per page after first 20 pages
|Images on CD (non-medical use)
||Flat Fee + HST
||Flat Fee + HST
|Criminal Injuries Compensation Board
||$30 for first 20 pages, $0.25 per page after first 20 pages
||Flat fee + HST
||Flat fee + HST
||Flat fee + HST
||$0.25 per page
|Time of Birth
||Flat Fee + HST
- Can I fax the authorization for disclosure of health record form? Yes, faxed consents can be sent through to the Health Records department. No personal health information can be transmitted via email. Health Records Release of Information staff may contact you if a faxed consent has been received but additional information is required.
- What should the request include? Requests must include your name, date of birth, phone number and mailing address as well as details regarding the type of information you are requesting. The CS 348 – SCA – Consent to Disclose Health Information must be completed for all third party requests. Patients who wish to obtain copies of their own records must complete Patient’s Request to Access Personal Health Information.
- Will the hospital have all of my records on file? Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre retains and manages patient records according to government legislation and the corporation by-laws. This means the hospital may only maintain some of your records.
- What happens if I want my records released to another individual? Whether you want your records released to a relative, friend, family doctor or another institution, you must submit a signed CS 348 – SCA – Consent to Disclose Health Information giving the hospital authorization to release your information.
- What happens if I am inquiring about records for a deceased patient? To obtain records for individuals who are deceased or incapable of signing a consent form, proof of executorships or legal signing authority must be submitted with the request. Health Records Release of Information staff may contact you if additional information is required.
- My parent(s) or relative/friend would like his/her records to be sent to their family physician. How can I access their records? Your parent(s) or relative/friend will have to request this in writing by completing the CS 348 – SCA – Consent to Disclose Health Information form. The family physician can also fax a request directly to the Hospital.
- How long will it take to get my records? Once you have placed your request, your records will be available within 30 days.
Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre
980 Oliver Road
Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 6V4
Phone: (807) 684-6640
Fax: (807) 684-5881