Health Records

Provincial legislation provides access to one’s own personal records. The Health Sciences Centre’s Health Records Department is responsible for the release of patient health information and its policies govern procedures to provide that information upon request.

Two commonly-used forms are Consent to Disclose Health Information and Patient’s Request to Access Personal Health Information and we encourage you to download these forms for your use.

The Health Records office is located on Level Three of the Health Sciences Centre and is open Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. For Health Records inquiries, phone (807) 684-6650. Further information regarding the privacy of your health information can be found by viewing our Privacy Information pages.

FAQ – How to Access Your Health Information

  • Does it cost me anything to request medical information?

    There is an administrative cost for non-medical requests. Fees are collected for processing purposes (retrieval and photocopying).

  • Can I view my health records?

    Yes, an appointment is required in order to be able to view your record. Please contact the Health Records Department at phone number 807-684-6650.

  • How do I get a copy of my health records?

    If you were a patient of Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre, you can receive a copy of your health records by submitting a written request to Health Records Department, Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre. You can download the Consent to Disclose Health Information form and Patient’s Request to Access Personal Health Information form; or obtain a copy of the authorization forms by visiting our Health Records Department.

  • Can I fax the authorization for disclosure of health record form?

    Yes, faxed consents can be sent through to the Health Records department, along with a copy of photo I.D. No personal health information can be transmitted via email. Health Records Release of Information staff may contact you if a faxed consent has been received but additional information is required.

  • What should the request include?

    Requests must include your name, date of birth, phone number and mailing address as well as details regarding the type of information you are requesting. The Consent to Disclose Health Information must be witnessed and signed by another person.

  • Will the hospital have all of my records on file?

    Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre retains and manages patient records according to government legislation and the corporation by-laws. This means the hospital may only maintain some of your records.

  • What happens if I want my records released to another individual?

    Whether you want your records released to a relative, friend, family doctor or another institution, you must submit a signed consent giving the hospital authorization to release your information.

  • What happens if I am inquiring about records for a deceased patient?

    To obtain records for individuals who are deceased or incapable of signing a consent form, proof of executorships or legal signing authority must be submitted with the request.

  • My parent(s) or relative/friend would like his/her records to be sent to their family physician. How can I access their records?

    Your parent(s) or relative/friend will have to request this in writing by completing the Authorization for Disclosure of Health Record form.

Health Records
Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre
980 Oliver Road
Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 6V4
Phone: (807) 684-6650
Fax: (807) 684-5881