Don’t Skip Out on Sleep: The Importance of Regular Sleep and Daily Routine
by Amanda Walberg
Has your sleep schedule changed since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic? Does your sleep schedule change frequently? Why is it important to maintain a regular sleep schedule and a daily routine? Find out in this article.
Sleep is important for our health. It has been known to increase mood, sharpen memory and attention, lower stress, and enhance exercise performance. Have you noticed that you have a more productive day when you have a good sleep? It’s not a coincidence, but rather a result of the direct effect that sleep has on productivity and motivation. On the other hand, not reaching the recommended seven to nine hours of sleep per night can have a negative long-term effect on your health by increasing irritability, anxiety, and risk for chronic illnesses like diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease.
In addition to getting enough sleep, maintaining a daily routine benefits your physical and mental health. A regular routine actually improves sleep quality, reduces stress and helps ensure you have more time to do the things you enjoy.
A healthy routine should also include time to plan and make healthy meals, and to schedule in time for regular exercise. Doing so will help improve your overall health, reduce risk for chronic illnesses, and improve motivation and self-esteem.
The following tips for maintaining a regular sleep schedule and routine can help improve your overall health.
In the evenings:
- Set a time to go to bed each night that will allow you to get seven to nine hours of sleep.
- Make time to wind down in the evenings before you go to sleep. Some suggestions are having a bath, making a cup of decaffeinated tea or reading a book.
- Limit exposure to bright light before you go to bed (including phone, tablets and other devices).
Throughout the day:
- Wake up at the same time every day, even on weekends.
- Set your intentions for the day by making a list of what you want to accomplish.
- Exercise regularly and make healthy food choices
- Avoid consumption of caffeine in the late afternoon and evening.
- Try to eat meals at the same time each day.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid sitting all day, try to stand and stretch at least once an hour.
For more information on sleep and routine, visit: https://www.tbdhu.com/don-t-miss-out-on-sleep.