Educational Events & New Resources
Northwestern Ontario Stroke Rehab Round-up
Fall 2022 Edition (Oct. 2022) – Click hyperlinks for details
A collection of educational events, new resources & more!
Note – some events have associated fees – Funding may be available from the NW Ontario Regional Stroke Network – click HERE to apply
Virtual Education Events – Eastern times listed
Ottawa Stroke summit 2022 Virtual Conference – Friday November 18, 2022, 08:00-16:00
Objectives: Discuss and share supports, strategies, and resources that will improve the care and experiences for persons living with stroke. There are a number of excellent sessions geared to rehab professionals.
Registration closes Nov 17. No refunds after Oct 18. Fees included in brochure, range $30-70.
SPECIAL 9-PART SERIES “STROKE AND THE YOUNG PATIENT” Central South Regional Stroke Network (Oct 2022-Jan 2023)
- Tuesday, October 18, 2022 12:00 – 13:00, Part 3: Stroke and Pregnancy REGISTER NOW
- Tuesday October 25, 2022, 12:00 – 13:00, Part 4: Neurocognitive Impacts of Stroke in the Young REGISTER NOW
- Thursday, November 3, 2022, 12:00 – 13:30, Part 5: Return to Vocations Toolkit REGISTER NOW
- Thursday, November 17, 2022, 12:00 – 13:00, Part 6: Return to Driving Toolkit REGISTER NOW
- Thursday, November 24, 2022, 12:00 – 13:00, Part 7: Depression, Emotional Supports and Fatigue Post Stroke REGISTER NOW
- Thursday, December 8, 2022, 12:00 – 13:00, Part 8: Community Re-Integration Post Stroke Panel REGISTER NOW
- Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:00 – 13:00, Part 9: Sexuality Post Stroke REGISTER NOW
Evidence-Informed Practices for Individualized Prescription of Ankle-Foot Orthoses
Thursday, October 20, 2022 from 12 – 2:30 PM EST. Presenter Dr. Kyra Kane Cost $75.00 REGISTER NOW.
Online courses from the University of Alberta’s Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine
Professional education programs for working healthcare professionals. Microcredential courses are non-credit online short courses (16-30 hours) in specific content areas that run over approximate 6 week time-frames. Topics include Neurorehab, Dysphagia and much more. For more INFORMATION
Save the Date:
Wednesday January 18, 2023. Overview of Executive Function, Memory and Functional Performance – A virtual workshop with Dr. Joan Toglia REGISTRATION COMING SOON
In Person Education Events – Eastern times listed
The following in-person NDT courses are being offered at Back Works in Waterloo by Karen Guha:
LINK for more information and registration
Sign-up for Valuable Stroke Information E-mailed Directly to You!
- Toronto Stroke Virtual Community of Practice – become a member & subscribe for updates
- Canadian Partnership for Stroke Recovery – scroll down on main page to subscribe
- Aphasia Institute – email to subscribe to newsletter
Introduction to Supportive Conversation for Adults with Aphasia (SCA) eLearning Module
From main page, click tab for Intro to SCA e-learning module
Canadian Hemispheres Stroke Competency Series
7 courses specifically tailored to Canadian Stroke Best Practice Recommendations, including NIH Stroke Scale training and certification. Funding may be available from the NWO Regional Stroke Network, contact Alisha Tokar (firstname.lastname@example.org), 684-6706.
Southwestern Ontario Stroke Network – Stroke Rehab Orientation Manual
Create login to access additional resources
Click HERE to view current Canadian Stroke Best Practice Recommendations for Stroke Rehab & Recovery
- Vision Loss Rehabilitation Canada
- Implementing Tele-rehabilitation within Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs – TOOLKIT
- Canadian Stroke Best Practices: Virtual Stroke Rehabilitation Consensus Statement
- Stroke Engine: Rebuilt and relaunched, October 2020, with advanced search functionality, user-friendly for mobile devices, upcoming new content for circuit therapy and apraxia.
For Patients & Caregivers
March of Dimes Canada: After Stroke Programs
Thunder Bay: Leanne Johnson, RD, CDE | NWO After Stroke Coordinator,
237 Camelot Street, Phone: (807)355-5969, Email: email@example.com
- Heart & Stroke’s Community Connect e-newsletter
- Online Videos with Self-Management Tools and Resources for People Recovering from Stroke
Esmé French, M.Sc.PT
Regional Stroke Rehabilitation Specialist,
Northwestern Ontario Regional Stroke Network
Medical Centre, 201-984 Oliver Road
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 7C7
phone: (807) 684-6498 email: firstname.lastname@example.org