At Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre we believe that your health information deserves to be treated with respect and sensitivity and that your privacy must be protected. We are committed to protecting the privacy, confidentiality, and security of all personal health information. Access to your personal health information is available to those who are involved in your ongoing care and treatment.
Collection of Personal Health Information:
We collect personal health information about you directly from you or from the person acting on your behalf. The personal health information that we collect may include, for example, your name, date of birth, address, health history, records of your visits to TBRHSC, and the care that you received during those visits. Occasionally we collect personal health information about you from other sources if we have obtained your consent to do so or if the law permits.
Uses and Disclosures of Personal Health Information
We use and disclose your personal health information to:
- treat and provide continuum of care
- get payment for your treatment and care (from OHIP, WSIB, your private insurer, or others)
- plan, administer, and manage our internal operations
- conduct risk management activities
- conduct quality improvement activities (such as sending patients satisfaction surveys)
- support educational activities
- conduct research approved by the Research and Ethics Board
- compile statistics
- fundraise to improve our healthcare services and programs
- comply with legal and regulatory requirements
- fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law
Personal health information may be disclosed to a prescribed planning entity for the purposes of analysis, or compiling statistics with respect to the management of, evaluation or monitoring of, the allocation of resources to or planning for all or part of the health system without the consent of the patient provided the entity meets requirements outlined in the Personal Health Information Protection Act. Four prescribed planning entities in Ontario are Cancer Care Ontario, Canadian Institute for Health Information, Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences and Pediatric Oncology Group of Ontario.
- We take steps to protect your personal health information from theft, loss, and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure, and disposal.
- We conduct audits and complete investigations to monitor and manage our privacy compliance.
- We take steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us protect your privacy and only use your personal health information for the purposes you have consented to.
- Your personal health information is in a shared electronic information system and is available to health care providers involved in your care.
- Your personal health information is in a shared electronic information system and is available to health care providers involved in your care, including the Ontario Laboratory Information System (OLIS) that will allow the TBRHSC laboratory and community laboratories to share your laboratory test results with your doctor and other health care providers.
You may access and correct your personal health records, or withdraw your consent for some of the above uses and disclosures by contacting us (subject to legal exceptions). Family physicians routinely receive copies of hospital reports unless you notify us otherwise.
How to Contact Us
Our privacy contact person is Mieke DeRoover.
For more information about our privacy protection practices, or to raise a concern you have with our practices, contact us at:
Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre980 Oliver Road
Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 6V4
Phone: (807) 684-6641
Fax: (807) 684-5881
You have the right to complain to the Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario if you think we have violated your rights. The Commissioner can be reached at:
Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario2 Bloor Street East
Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8 Phone: (800) 387-0073
Fax: (416) 325-9195
Website: www.ipc.on.ca If you wish to withdraw or reinstate consent for the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and healthcare providers to access your test results contained in the Ontario Laboratories Information System (OLIS), contact ServiceOntario at:
1-800-291-1405 (TTY: 1-800-387-5559)
Complete an OLIS Withdrawal of Consent or OLIS Reinstatement Consent form and submit it to an OLIS-participating hospital laboratory.