What’s the Role of The Northwest Region Prehospital Care Program at the Health Sciences Centre?
Everyone knows to call 911 for an ambulance in the case of a medical emergency. Paramedics from your local emergency medical services (EMS) arrive in minutes to provide pre-hospital medical care and transport you to the Health Sciences Centre or local hospital.
What people don’t know is that Ontario EMS and Base Hospitals work in collaboration to ensure safe quality pre-hospital patient care is provided to every patient. EMS is not technically part of the community hospital and Base Hospital is not technically part of your local EMS; these are separate agencies overseeing different aspects of the paramedics’ roles and responsibilities.
We will provide medical direction and oversight that promotes trust and supports best practice through our education, training, and quality assurance programs.
We will lead and inspire paramedics to provide exceptional pre-hospital care in Northwestern Ontario.
- We value patient and family centered care; we will instill dignity and respect, communication and information sharing, collaboration, and participation in the delivery of pre-hospital care.
- We value partnerships that are accountable, participative, and respectful.
- We value life-long learning and education that is supportive, innovative, and dynamic.
- We value continuous quality improvement that promotes safety, best practice, efficiency, and professionalism.
- We value research that is pre-hospital care focused.