Community Resources

Select one of the blue links below to get more information on the topic:

Personal Finances

Government Programs

Link includes information on:

  • Service Canada (Employment Insurance & Canada Pension Plan)
  • Ontario Works
  • Ontario Disability Support Program
  • Ontario Drug Benefits
  • First Nations and Inuit Health: Non-Insured Health Benefits

Community and Home Support

Link includes information on:

  • Canadian Cancer Society
  • North West Community Care Access Centre

Translation and Interpretation Services

Link includes information on:

  • Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre
  • Thunder Bay Multicultural Association
  • L’ Accueil francophone de Thunder Bay
  • Ontario Interpreting Services

If you require help connecting with community resources, call Supportive Care and ask to speak with one of our social workers. Phone direct at 807-684-7310 or toll free at 1-877-696-7223 ext. 7310.

Personal Finances

You may need to take time off work when you are ill. It is important to find out what types of benefits you may have. Applying and being approved for benefits can take time so we encourage you to review this right away.

Check with your employer to determine if you have sickness or disability benefits and ask them how you can apply for these benefits.

Cancer and Work

The Cancer and Work website was designed to address the unique needs of cancer survivors with returning, remaining, changing work or looking for work after a diagnosis of cancer. The website provides newly created information, resources, and interactive tools for cancer survivors, healthcare providers and employers.

Government Programs

You may be eligible to apply for financial support through one of these government programs that support illness and disability.

Service Canada

  • Employment Insurance (EI) and Sickness Benefits
  • Compassionate Care Benefits
  • Canada Pension Plan (CPP)
  • Disability Application (CPP-D) and Disability-Terminal Illness Application

Ontario Works
Municipal program offered through your local Social Services

Ontario Disability Support Program
Provincial program offered through the Ministry of Community & Social Services

Ontario Drug Benefits Program (ODB)
Drug programs, including Trillium Drug Program, through Ministry of Health & Long-Term Care.

First Nations and Inuit Health: Non-Insured Health Benefits
The Non-Insured Health Benefits Program is Health Canada’s national, medically necessary health benefit program that provides coverage for a specified range of drugs, dental care, vision care, medical supplies and equipment, mental health counselling and medical transportation for eligible First Nations people and Inuit.

If you require health related services contact your local Health Centre or Band Office, or phone Health Canada’s, First Nations and Inuit Health, General Inquires Information Line at 1-800-640-0642.

Community and Home Support

You and your family may need assistance in your home to manage health issues. Speak to a member of your healthcare team for more information about community programs.
Canadian Cancer Society

Click on the link to learn more:

Provides educational materials for cancer patients/families, as well as, information about support services i.e., peer support and transportation services.

If you are living with cancer or are the family member of someone living with cancer, phone: 1-888-939-3333 (provincial), or locally, call:

Northwest Region and Thunder Bay Offices
1093 Barton St. Thunder Bay, Ontario, P7B-5N3
Phone: 807-344-5433, toll free: 1-800-227-5557

North West Community Care Access Centre (CCAC)
Click on the link to learn more

Offers a wide-range of healthcare services and resources to support patients at home.
Thunder Bay District: toll free 1-800-626-5406
Rainy River and Kenora Districts: toll free 1-877-661-6621

Translation and Interpretation Services

If you require help connecting with translation and interpretive services, ask any member of your healthcare team, or you can phone Supportive Care and ask to speak with one of our social workers, phone 807-684-7310 or toll free 1-877-696-7223 ext 7310.

Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre

Click on this link to learn more about our Hospital’s language services
Our Hospital is committed to providing patient services in French as well as English. Please let a member of your healthcare team know if you would like service in French. If you require an interpreter in any other language, please ask a staff member and we will do our best to accommodate.

Thunder Bay Multicultural Association

Provides Interpreters and Translators for multi-lingual requests including health care, social services, legal issues, counselling and other services. Phone: 807-345-0551, toll free 1-866-831-1144.

L’ Accueil Francophone de Thunder Bay

Offers interpretation services between French-speaking clients and health care professionals in a confidential and professional manner. Phone: 807-684-1940.

Ontario Interpreting Services

Book an American Sign Language (ASL), Langues de Signes Quebecois (LSQ) interpreter by contacting Ontario Interpreting Services: Phone 1-855-656-3748, TTY: 1-877-843-0368, Skype: callous.chs, fax 1-855-656-3750 or email

Emergency Interpreting Services are available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Phone 1-866-256-5142, TTY: 1-866-831-4657, email: or SMS/Text: 1-905-971-0564 (charge may apply).