NEW Stroke Rehabilitation Resource Available Online
Stroke Rehabilitation Unit Orientation Resource Released.
In June, the Southwestern Ontario Stroke Network officially launched the 2016 Stroke Rehabilitation Unit Orientation resource, developed to support the education of regulated health professionals by providing a framework for learning, and by identifying knowledge, skills and values that are important to the delivery of best practice stroke care.
This free self-directed learning program includes quizzes, and covers 12 core stroke care topics:
– Pathophysiology of stroke neuroanatomy, and stroke syndromes
– Stroke rehabilitation management
– Monitoring for vascular risk factors
– Swallowing, nutrition, and oral care
– Cognition, vision, and perception
– Self-care and activities of daily living
– Positioning, transfers, and ambulation
– Mood and behaviour changes
– Sexuality post-stroke
– Secondary stroke prevention
While the target audience is nurses that are new to practicing in a stroke rehabilitation unit, this resource can be used by any professional discipline who works within the rehabilitation setting.